5 Rivers (formely The Crown and Sceptre)
The original pub on this site was known as The Crown (see photo above) and according to the 1878 Drinking map was a fully licensed house (view our Updated Drink Map by clicking this link). It dates back to the early 1850s and George Barnes was the first landlord. Unfortunately this building was totally destroyed in the war. The resulting crater was used as an emergency reservoir for the fire brigade until the late 1950s and was also used by many local boys as a place to learn to swim. The present pub was built for the Watney Group and was later the property of Gibb’s Mews Salisbury Brewery. In 1989 it became The Dungeon which was a nightclub but by 2016 the business was no longer viable and it closed. It is now the 5 Rivers Sports bar offering Indian food. Five rivers is the English translation of Punjab.