The Rockstone (formerly The Bevois Castle)
The pub, standing on the corner of Onslow Road and Rockstone Lane, was known as the Bevois Inn when it was first leased to Eldridge Pope’s Dorchester Brewery on 23 March 1843. By 1870 it was known as The Bevois Castle Hotel and the name could possibly link to documented references in 1331 to ‘Boeuf’s Chastel’ in the region of Castle Street. There is also a 1923 postcard showing some ruins at the bottom of Castle Street but now the area has been concreted over. It is shown on the 1878 Drink Map as a fully licensed public house (view our Updated Drink Map by clicking this link).
The current name also has historical authority. The name Rockstone could be attributed to a hamlet called Rokesdene in the vicinity in the thirteenth century. Also as late as 1844 the large field abutting the lane, part of the Bevois Mount Estate, was known as Rooks Down. Rockstone Lane itself was a very important road. It was the main route out of Southampton to London and the east when The Avenue was still only a track for cattle.
The drinking trough which stands in front of the pub was donated by two Victorian, animal-loving ladies, who wished to remain anonymous, and it was designed and made by monumental masons Garrett and Haysom.